Thursday, July 25, 2019

I'm sorry but your mistakes do define you

OK the title is meant to pique your interest and I'll explain my point in a bit. Over the past week or so I've noticed some yard signs. Plain white coroplast with black letters. They have writing on both sides, on each sign that I saw, one side says Don't give up!, the back side says one of the following; You matter, You are enough, and Your mistakes do not define you. I'm not sure where they came from, my thoughts are probably a local church, trying to be encouraging. I get the sentiment. Over the past couple of days I found that I was actually irritated by one of the signs, and with a little more thought realized how wrong some of them are. You are not enough, sorry to say but none of us are enough. We all need others, we need stuff. But the sad reality is that when the need is greatest, or when it really hurts, we're alone. Hopefully we are enough for that time and place. I like the "Don't give up " attitude, very few people succeed on the first try. Or the second or third for that matter, keep on trying. But the thing which really sets me off is that our mistakes do not define us. The reality is that we are a combination of successes and failures. Most of us learn from our mistakes, sometimes we repeat them. In fact all of us have those things which no matter how hard we try, no matter how bad it may get, we still do it over and over again. Addictions fall into this category and as so many successful programs show us, such as alcoholics anonymous, to overcome these destructive habits one MUST have support. So no you are not enough, at least not for that. Back to mistakes defining us. Still don't agree, let me make an example, Richard Nixon. You just thought of one word right? Nixon was actually a pretty good president. He established trade with China, got the U.S. out of Viet Nam, and established title IX collegiate sports. There are other things he did but what do we remember? Watergate. Yes our failures and mistakes mark us, while it's easier to overcome some foolishness we do at 15 than it is at 35, the things we did at 15 will affect us when we're 60. That's what's been bugging me lately. Like everyone I've done some dumb things in my past, most have helped forge me into what I am today. But the worst mistake I ever made was about 20 years ago, and I am painfully reminded of it every single day. The platitude to put the past behind me just isn't possible. I can't fix it and I can't escape from the reminders. The bottom line is that we will all fail, we all have some things that we need help with and we'll all make mistakes. Very few of us will ever find that special friend with whom we can share anything and who will smack us when we're being stupid. If you have that you are so specially blessed. But one of the signs is so very right, You matter. Even with your flaws, the dumb mistakes, the addictions and every other problem, YOU MATTER. Every day you touch the life of someone else, it can be for good or for bad. Some people will remember you and others will forget you, but in the day to day activities, we all have impact on others. Live life with care, try not to make to many mistakes, lean on someone when you can't walk alone, and let someone else lean on you. Make a difference every day because You Matter!