Monday, August 3, 2020

Beekeepers are a little crazy

Well, i think all beekeepers are a bit off, a group of people who actually enjoy keeping a box of bugs that will sting us. But queen rearers are another breed. The thing with making queens, once you start, you are bound by timing and nature. No matter how you may feel, or what the weather is like, once the grafts are set in the cups, the clock is ticking.  I went on vacation on the 24th of July. I wanted to have some capped cells when I got back but did not want to push things too close. So I figured the best grafting day was Thursday the 23rd. (my return day was August 1 at 10 pm).  It was raining Thursday when I got home, intermittent showers. And I had some other things to do. Finally, around 7:30 ish I was able to do a frame of grafts. A hard lesson learned is to check grafts a day later to be sure they took, if not there is probably a queen in the box. I did not want to come home and have no cells, I also did not want to come back home after work Friday, just planned to go straight to the airport. That meant that I had to go in the box before I left for work. So at 4:30 am, with a red light and my veil on, I went in. Just wanted to see if they are making cells. I didn't care how many. I can tell you that bees, like a lot of people I know, do not like being disturbed at 4:30 am. While they don't fly, they do crawl and sting, I got 4. I did however see that at least 5 cells were started so all looked good. Came home around 11:00 pm Saturday. Sunday morning we were expecting a tropical storm or hurricane, Isaias. Still as stated before, the grafts are in and I must move them before one comes out. Late Sunday morning, between some showers I pulled 8 capped cells and put in the incubator. But something else has to happen too, you guessed it, I need to put in some more grafts. It was not raining when I pulled a brood frame, wasn't raining when I sat in the truck and started to graft. Right around the third larvae though the sky opened up and it poured. Sat in the truck for 30-40 minutes after grafting, the rain turned to a light drizzle. I took the chance and put the grafts in and the donor frame back. I'll check today and see if any took.   Update on this, I did a quick check on the  thunderstorm grafts, did not pull it all the way out, bees were on all cups and I saw wax on at least 5.