Sunday, August 30, 2020

Oddities happen when things wear out

 This is one of life's anecdotes. it's a story about our dryer.  Our dryer is old, I don't know how old, I bought it used at least 12 years ago so probably pushing 20?  It still works, so no need to replace it. But yesterday Vicki (my wife) came and told me the dryer stopped working. I went out and checked the clothes, yup still quite wet. Started the dryer, it's spinning. I looked over the back. There is a little crack between the sheet metal pieces that if you look at just the right angle you can see into the element housing, and if it's on, there is a red glow. Yup I see a red glow. Dryer is working, walked away. Went back an hour later to move laundry and the clothes are wet. Odd eh? Went through the same process, yes it seems that everything is working. So this time I was piddling around in the garage and I heard a strange clunk, after which the dryer stopped spinning. Hmm?  Again I restart it and this time stood and watched. It took about 2 minutes and I saw it. The door opened, maybe 1/2 inch, but just enough for the dryer to stop. Apparently the little latch that keeps the door closed is wearing out. Vicki was drying a pair of sneakers with her clothes, I took out the sneakers and tried again. Success!  I guess I'll replace the latch this week.