Sunday, October 21, 2018

Getting stung all the time. Why do I do it?

I haven't posted anything here for a while and I'll just ramble a bit. I'm frequently asked if I get stung a lot and my answer is most days in the club yard at least a couple of times. Lately it's been real nice, there's a honey flow on and it seems that you can really do a lot before getting them mad enough to sting. But I digress. It's probably about an 80 percent probability that I'll get at least 1 sting in any of the yards. (I now have bees in 4 locations). The why question though is hard to answer. Does it hurt? Yes, especially Saturday as I worked the hive in shorts and a bee crawled up my leg. I think she just panicked and couldn't get out so I took one in the posterior.  No I don't enjoy the stings. But I do enjoy the bees. I'm constantly intrigued by everything that they do. I've seen that the colonies have good and bad days, that the attitude can change with the weather and availability of food. When I make up a cell starter, putting a bunch of bees in a box without a queen, within just minutes they start to roar. They know there is no queen, no brood, no hope to continue and they get excited. Then just a few hours later, after adding a frame with a few larvae the right age to make queens, you can hear the sounds change. That's pretty cool, maybe that's the control freak in me. And I really enjoy the making of queens, or well not exactly me making them but the process of getting the bees to do it.  Although the excitement has dropped a little, I still remember the first queen that emerged then went out and successfully mated. That was a thrill.  Not quite so much anymore but still amazing that I can take a larvae from a wax cell, put it in a plastic cup and 12 days later a queen comes out.  And if all goes right within two weeks she's laying eggs and if I wanted to I could take one of her larvae and do the same thing.  But I think the most fun part in all of this is Sunday afternoons. We work our club yard every Sunday. There are a few regulars. Sometimes we just take a quick kook in a few boxes, other times, like today, we go through all of them. Most weeks we have a newcomer and that's the thrill. Things go pretty fast but I try to make sure that the newbee holds a frame of bees and gets to see all of the details. That's how we hook them. And then, after coming for a few weeks and showing a real interest I get to ask the question; "Are you ready for bees yet". Which means that next week they'll be taking home a nuc. That's why I do it. I like the bees and eventually plan to make some money selling queens, but right now, the real driving force is getting bees to people who really want bees.