Wednesday, May 23, 2018

I still choose to bee!

Sometimes these little bugs we keep in boxes drive me nuts. Jamie Ellis says to bee or not to bee. When we either want to or do not want to work bees. Sunday in the club yard was overcast but not raining. Nearly all of the bees were angry but we needed to work them and all in all it was a good day. In contrast I wanted to graft some larvae and in both of my yards the bees were peaceful. (My yards consist of two hives at my house and a nuc split, and one hive at my mother-in-laws house, big yards eh?) Couldn't check the grafts yesterday but today of 10 taken, one cup had fallen off and I found 6 with royal jelly. The cell starter box was pretty calm but when I opened the finishing colony they were downright mean. Even with a lot of smoke I still took stings through my shirt and pants. What a difference in this box since Sunday. I had to put on my hoodie to finish but on the positive side there are 6 cups with royal jelly! I'll cage them next Monday and find boxes the following Sunday. Took about 20 stings today, but I have 6 cells with royal jelly! LOL